The time has come to move to a larger boat, and Grace needs a new home! This is an opportunity to own a completely upgraded and amazing sailboat. Click here to learn more.
Grace is my 2001 Beneteau 311 sailboat home ported in Seattle, WA. I have always wanted to own a Beneteau after years of seeing their beautiful interiors, sleek lines, and fantastic sailing capabilities. That dream came true the summer of 2015.
My last sailboat Jammy, who was part of the family for 11+ years, had more networking and electronics than any sailboat should, and with Grace, things don’t appear to be much different. She only had basic instruments to begin with, and I’ve added quite a few things for ease of use and networking. I will be developing a more detailed network throughout the entire boat, hopefully as complicated and fun as Jammy was.
Network / Instruments
- Intel NUC boat server
- New AC & DC panels
- New navigation panel
- Raymarine ITC-5 wind/depth upgrade
- PowerPod for instruments at driving station
- Raymarine Axiom MFD
- Raymarine STng to N2K converter (to connect older ST series instruments to N2K bus)
- NMEA 2000 bus / power / creation
- Raymarine Quantum Radar + radar pole
- Raymarine EV1 autopilot – included ACU-100, EV1, and replacement ST4000+ mk2 wheel pilot
- B&G DSC V50 VHF and H50 wireless remote
- BoatCommand remote monitoring
- Raymarine es78 MFD (retired)
- Victron LiFePO4 system
- USB outlets
- SmartThings IoT temp and heater control
- Balmar Battery bank monitor
- MasterVolt DC power system including shunt, distribution, charger, control panel.
- New Firefly battery bank
- SmartPlug shore power replacement
- Doyle Cradle Cover
- Folding cockpit wheel
- Electric windlass and chain+rope rode
- Raritan electric head
- Wallas Heater
- Ambient cabin lighting
- LED for cabin lights
- LED for navigation lights
- WiFi / LTE network
- Cockpit door replacement
- Fridge Optimizer
- Replace CD changer radio – Fusion stereo
- Stern seat cushions
- Pedestal replacement
- Engine monitoring via N2K (Actisense EMU-1?)
- Storage / fridge soft closers
- Cockpit cushions
2000 Beneteau 311
- LOA 32’3″
- LWL 28’10”
- Beam 10’7″
- Mast length (over water) 46’7″
- Draft (standard) 4’9″
- Sail Area 538 sq. ft.
- Ballast (standard) 2,425 lbs.
- Displacement 8,047 lbs. (approx.)
- Engine 18 hp
- Fuel Capacity 17 gal.
- Water Capacity 48 gal.
- Hull / Designer Finot / Conq
|Item||Size||Tension (in pounds)||Percent of breaking pressure|
Grace’s network is a work in progress, and probably always will be. Her current setup is below.
Updated June 2017 – click for larger version
Where is Grace?
Provided that my AIS transponder is working correctly, and that I have a good internet connection, or a shore monitoring station is picking up my transponder, you should be able to see where Grace is below. If not, try the Garmin inReach screen further down, which uses satellite to transmit locations every 10-15 minutes.
When I am using my inReach, you can see my track below.